No aircon, no cellar. Doomed to fail due to heat issues?

All questions regarding the art of brewing can be posted here. All are welcome from newbie to seasoned brewer. No question is too silly, after all, we all have to start somewhere.

Re: No aircon, no cellar. Doomed to fail due to heat issues?

Postby Furryman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:11 am

No way i'm shelling out for a brand new fridge or freezer for this project. When I was out poking around looking for used furniture last week I saw a bunches of used chest freezers and big glass front drink coolers. I'm sure the one for me is waiting there, somewhere.
Furryman
Wobbly legs

Postby northrock » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:34 am

I am still trying to get my fermenting/conditioning and storing set up organised . I wonder what the set ups you all are using.

I have 1 fridge for fermentation , and use the top freezer part for storing speciality malts. I have an inkbird thermostat and it works great.

I bought a chest freezer from Makro for storing and dispensing beer from kegs , but it has packed up twice and I have spent more fixing it than it actually cost.

I am looking to get one of the double door beverage fridges but am worried about the noise, are they loud?

At this rate i coukd end up with 4 fridges in my kitchen!

1 for food etc
1 for fermentation , fits 1 20 L FV
1 for conditioning (do you condition ?) at 12C
1 for storing and dispensing beer.

What set ups do you all have ? Am I wasting my time conditioning bottles and kegs and 12C?

Cheers all
Braumeister 10 L All grain set up for small batches

13 gallon mash tun and a 13 gallon boil kettle (using Braumeister for HLT)

Conditioning: NE IPA, Pater/s Bier , American Pale Ale Citra and Simcoe
Planning: Passion Fruit Berliner Weisse
northrock

Postby iroc4life » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:37 am

I just got started myself and purchased 2 used fridges for fermenting and Lagering. Picked em up on FB Buy Sell Trade. cant see the second fridge ver much but its a lil newer than the keg-orator one and see the temp controllers on top from thaibrewshop. These are solely for beer but once the kegs are filled im down to 1 for fermenting. Also looking at one of the double glass door coolers, even on for like flowers that only goes to 15-20 c will work for fermenting :D
Attachments
IMG-20171213-WA0002.jpeg
IMG-20171213-WA0002.jpeg (212.56 KiB) Viewed 47 times
iroc4life

Postby northrock » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:55 am

Thanks iroc

In this climate I think I will need 3 fridges (+1). I mainly keg but have done some bottling and the bottles conditioned at 5C , they were IPAS. The kegs all seemed to do fine, so maybe I can skip the 12C conditioning.
Braumeister 10 L All grain set up for small batches

13 gallon mash tun and a 13 gallon boil kettle (using Braumeister for HLT)

Conditioning: NE IPA, Pater/s Bier , American Pale Ale Citra and Simcoe
Planning: Passion Fruit Berliner Weisse
northrock

Postby rivetcatcher » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:28 pm

I use a glass door sancool fridge which I modified by installing an Stc-1000 for fermenting and conditioning. Really like it cos the shelves are strong and it has a lot of space. It is noisy though so I keep it in the garage.

I have an old fridge which I’m using as a kegerator. Looks terrible but works great. I will be replacing it soon and building a keezer.

Rivet
Planning: Rivet Catcher Rev2, Rivets SNPA version 2
Brewing:
Conditioning: Rivet Catcher Rev1
Drinking:
Drank:All Grain Zombie Dust clone, Rivets SNPA
rivetcatcher
Ive only jusht met you shh-weetheart but I sh-ink I love shoe

Previous

Return to Brewing Questions