Ginger-lime beer

This is the place to discuss any brews you may have on other than beer. Do you make wine? Cider? Spirits? If you do we want to hear about it!!!

Ginger-lime beer

Postby David 1963 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:54 pm

This was meant to be a new attempt at ginger beer without using malt, but the limes have dominated a bit more than I expected. Ingredients:

1.2 kg young ginger
12 very large seedless limes
1.5 kg brown cane sugar
a little yeast

Grate the ginger. Squeeze the shreds into the brewing container after placing a sieve over the top (make sure your hands are extremely clean or use gloves). As its fresh ginger there should be quite a lot of juice. Place the remaining shreds in a pot of water and boil. Squeeze the limes. I got over half a litre of juice out of just 12 limes. Add the juice to the brewing container. Add the water that had boiled with ginger shreds to the container. Let it cool then squeeze the shreds one last time. Add the lime skins to boiling water then add that juice to the container. The resulting liquid should look rather like pink grapefruit juice. Add the sugar to more hot water before pouring into the container. Add the rest of the water and the yeast. Stir then seal.

I know most people would frown at adding brown sugar to beer, but as I'm not using malt extract I thought the brown sugar would add some taste and body to the liquid. I would have added a ginger beer plant, but have no idea where to get one in Thailand.
David 1963
Swaying round like a HomePro wardrobe!

Re: Ginger-lime beer

Postby 2be994510 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:31 am

I would suggest putting the limes in the microwave for one minute on high to extract maxium juice and then squeeze into one of those hand operated metal commercial juicers. Or perhaps an electrical juicer. I have found the ginger beer tastes much better when it has a lot of carbonation in it.
Certified Vegan
2be994510
Ive only jusht met you shh-weetheart but I sh-ink I love shoe

Postby David 1963 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:16 pm

I think I overdid it with the limes as it is, but that's an interesting tip. I'm certain my ginger beer will have plenty of carbonation. All my other brews have.
David 1963

Postby 2be994510 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:53 am

Our method is forced carbonation with CO2 tanks.
Certified Vegan
2be994510
Ive only jusht met you shh-weetheart but I sh-ink I love shoe

Postby David 1963 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:31 pm

I just use secondary fermentation.
David 1963

Postby theweatherman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:22 pm

Hey David what kind of yeast did you use?
theweatherman
Tipsy

Postby David 1963 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:22 pm

Baking yeast. I find it works much better than brewing yeast at Bangkok room temperatures.

There is an unexpected (to me) downside to using baking yeast for beers and ciders: the yeast has an alcohol tolerance of up to 14%, depending on the batch, so all sugar in the brew will be converted to alcohol up to that point. In the case of my ginger-lime beer, it means I have some rather sour and peppery drink that's about 8% ABV. I happen to like sour drinks, but would like the option of being able to keep the ABV down and sweeten a drink to what most of my friends might enjoy.
David 1963

Postby cooked » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Interesting post, and there's me scratching my head wondering what to do with all the ginger she planted.
What brewing temperature did you have, did you use a chiller?
cooked
Sober

Postby TigertheCat » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Your ginger-lime beer sounds good,I also like sour drinks.
Let us know how it turns out
Given up drinking due to health reasons
TigertheCat

Postby David 1963 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:25 pm

I brewed at Bangkok room temperature. I use a room that's dark and gets a bit of breeze, but it's still 30C most of the time. That's why I use baking yeast - it's more tolerant of higher temperatures.

Personally, I like this brew. It's about 8% ABV. It would have been better with less lime to cover the ginger, but it's nice and I've learned something making it.
David 1963

Next

Return to Alternative brews